penDirector - Why is my pen not being detected when I plug it in?
I've installed penDirector (188.8.131.52) but my pen is not detected when I connect it to the PC via USB. What is the problem?
So there could be a few things that would cause this behaviour...
- The first thing to establish is whether the pen is successfully detected via USB on an OS-level. So with the pen docked (and charged = solid green LED), please access Device Manager on the PC. If the pen is successfully detected on the OS-level then there will be a device, "Anoto Digital Pen (COMx)", visible under the Ports (COM & LPT) section.
- If the pen IS correctly displayed (as pic above) but still not detected by penDirector, access the Windows Services and select to manually restart the Anoto Pen Access Framework-service (with penDirector running & pen docked) - is the pen detected by penDirector now?
- If the pen is not detected by penDirector or the OS (Device Manager), please try the following...
- docking the pen with another PC, with penDirector installed
- using a different USB port on the PC
- using a different USB cable
- Another thing to note is that penDirector must be installed by a user that has Administrator privileges. Otherwise it could happen the application isn't fully installed, i.e. missing the Anoto Pen Access Framework-service (from Step 2).
- If the pen is still not detected after all of the above, then the likelihood is that the pen received an external impact or electromagnetic discharge & the circuitry inside the pen has become damaged.