AP-701x - Battery Care and Maintenance
The AP-701 contains a rechargeable lithium polymer battery (230 mAH) similar to the type found in many mobile devices. Lithium polymer will naturally deteriorate over time, unless certain precautions are followed when storing the battery for any extended period of time.
- Pens should be charged whenever they indicate low power
- A pen should not be left fully discharged for any extended period of time (>14 days)
- Pens in long-term storage should be re-charged at least once every 6 months and placed back into 'Shipment Mode' to maintain optimum battery conditions
For more general information on lithium polymer battery care, Google has many useful sites dedicated to the subject. To ensure you take the best care of your AP-701, we recommend the following procedure.
- Install penDirector and open the installation folder e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Anoto\penDirector
- Find and run penDirectorSettingsTool.exe as an Administrator
- Check the ShipmentMode Visible checkbox
- Restart penDirector to ensure the new settings are active
Fig 1 - penDirectorSettingsTool.exe Configuration Screen
We recommend that you charge the AP-701 with the USB cable connected to a computer. Check the pen battery level using penDirector and ensure that the pen is charged to a minimum of 70%.
Fig 2 - Checking the pen battery level in penDirector
TIP: If charging fails, try a different USB-port on the PC or a different USB cable. A USB hub without an external power supply may not provide the pen with sufficient charging power.
- Dock the pen with a PC, running penDirector
- Right-click the penDirector system tray application and select the Pen Settings option
- Select your pen in the Current pen drop down list
- Click Set shipment mode button and disconnect the pen
Fig 3 - Putting the pen into Shipment mode
TIP: Shipment mode places the pen into a very low voltage state that can extend the storage of the pen by up to 6 months, based on a charge > 70%. After 6 months the pen's battery protection circuitry will protect the battery for up to an additional 6 months, after which permanent damage may occur. To exit shipment mode, the pen must be connected to a USB power source prior to use.